View Single Post
Old 08-21-2017, 01:12 PM   #16
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry for the triple post, but should we also include the Converse of Manwe and Eru? It is bundled with the Athrabeth texts, and concerns the nature of death. If we do include it, I would propose these changes:

Quote:
Eru answered: 'Let the houseless be re-housed!'
Manwë asked: 'How shall this be done?'
Eru answered: 'Let the body that was destroyed be re-made. {Or let} [Let] the naked fëa be re-born {as a child}.'
Tolkien abandoned the idea of rebirth in the children, so this should be removed.

Quote:
Eru said: 'I give you authority. The skills ye have already, if ye will take heed. Look and ye will find that each spirit of My Children retaineth in itself the full imprint and memory of its former house and in its nakedness it is open to you, so that ye may clearly perceive all that is in it. After this imprint ye may make for it again such a house in all particulars as it had ere, evil befell it. Thus ye may send it back to the lands of the living. <Reincarnation of Elves (RE) The re-housed fëa will normally remain in Aman.> [But] those whom ye judge fit to be <RE transported back to Middle-earth>, if they desire it and understand clearly what they incur, ye shall surrender to Me, and I will consider them.’
{Then Manwë asked further: 'O Ilúvatar, hast Thou not spoken also of re-birth? Is that too within our power and authority?'
Eru answered: 'It shall be within your authority, but it is not in your power. Those whom ye judge fit to be re-born, if they desire it and understand clearly what they incur, ye shall surrender to Me; and I will consider them.'}
I took the relevant lines from the problematic concluding lines, and inserted them into the final judgement of Eru, just to make it line up with the Glorfindel essay and the later ideas of Elvish rebirth.

Last edited by ArcusCalion; 08-22-2017 at 01:20 AM.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote