View Single Post
Old 08-11-2004, 08:16 PM   #72
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
White Tree

While reading our original draft of the Eärendil Chapter, I felt that there was something very odd between VE-02 and VE-03:
VE-02
Quote:
<QS30 Yet by Sirion and the sea there grew up an elven folk, the gleanings of Gondolin and Doriath[.]<AB2 The Silmaril brought blessing upon them and> <Elessar Idril wore the Elessar upon her breast><AB2 , and they were healed, and they multiplied> <QS77 ; and from Balar the mariners of Círdan came among them>, and they took to the waves and {to the making of fair ships} <QS77 the building of ships> <AB2 and built a haven>, dwelling ever nigh unto the shores <QS77 of Arvernien>, <AB2 upon the delta amid the waters> under the shadow of Ulmo's hand. <AB2 Many fugitives gathered unto them.>>
VE-03
Quote:
<PG Ereinion Gil-galad son of Orodreth, who had escaped the fall of Nargothrond and come to Sirion's Mouth, was <QS77 named> King of the Noldor there. He was styled Gil-galad, Star of Radiance, because his helm and mail, and his shield overlaid with silver and set with a device of white stars, shone from afar like a star in sunlight or mooonlight and could be seen by Elvish eyes at a great distance if he stood upon a height.>
I felt that the transition between them is odd. I really liked what Findegil proposed in one of his posts:
VE-02/03
Quote:
Yet by Sirion and the sea there grew up an elven folk, the gleanings of Gondolin and Doriath[.] The Silmaril brought blessing upon them and Idril wore the Elessar upon her breast and they were healed, and they multiplied; and from Balar the mariners of Círdan came among them. And<PG Ereinion Gil-galad son of Orodreth, who had escaped the fall of Nargothrond {and come}came to Sirion's Mouth{,}and was <QS77 named> King of the Noldor there.>{, and}And they took to the waves and {the making of fair ships}the building of ships and built a haven, dwelling ever nigh unto the shores of Arvernien, upon the delta amid the waters under the shadow of Ulmo's hand. Many fugitives gathered unto them.
This to me feels a lot better. What do the others think? I would still like to use Gil-Galad's appearance but it can be used as proposed by Findegil in a previous chapter.
Regarding Gil-Galad:
As I posted before, I think now that it would be better to follow Aiwendil's advice on his suggestion. As lindil noted, there is a difference between being a King and being a lord, so there is no problem with Eärendil being the lord of the folk of Sirion.
So I would still keep VE-08 and VE-09 as in the original chapters. I have no problems with the additions made by Findegil regarding using the Lost Tales material of Galdor in VE-10, but I take into account the fact that Gil-Galad dwelt with Círdan and came with him to aid the Elves of Sirion during the attacks of the Fëanorians, just like in the QS77.
VE-10
Quote:
And so came in the end to pass the last and cruellest of the slayings of Elf by Elf; and that was the third of the great wrongs achieved by the accursed oath. For the sons of Fëanor came down upon the exiles of Gondolin and the remnant of Doriath and destroyed them. Though some of their folk stood aside, and some few rebelled and were slain upon the other part aiding Elwing against their own lords (for such was the sorrow and confusion of the hearts of {Elfinesse}[Elvenesse] in those days), yet {Maidros}[Maedhros] and Maglor won the day. Alone they now remained of the sons of Fëanor, for in that battle {Damrod and {Díriel}[Amras] were}[Amrod was] slain; but the folk of Sirion perished or fled away, or departed of need to join the people of {Maidros,}[Maedhros.]/*<FG Egalmoth was the lord of the house of the Heavenly Arch, and got even out of the burning of Gondolin, and dwelt after at the mouth of Sirion, but was slain in {a}[that] dire battle{ there when Melko seized Elwing}.>*\{, who claimed now}[ Maedhros now claimed] the lordship of all the Elves of the Hither Lands{. And yet Maidros}[ and yet he] gained not the Silmaril, for Elwing seeing that all was lost and her children Elros and Elrond taken captive, eluded the host of {Maidros}[Maedhros], and with the Nauglamír upon her breast she cast herself into the sea, and perished as folk thought.<QS77 Too late the ships of Círdan and Gil-galad the High King came hasting to the aid of the Elves of Sirion; and Elwing was gone, and her sons. Then such few of that people as did not perish in the assault joined themselves to Gil-galad{,} and<FG Galdor{ was} that valiant {Gnome}[Noldor] who led the men of the Tree in many a charge and yet won out of Gondolin and even the onslaught{ of Melko} upon the dwellers at Sirion's mouth {and went back to the ruins with Earendel.} went with {him}[Círdan] to Balar; and they told that Elros and Elrond were taken captive{,}[.]
Regarding the last changes proposed by Findegil in his last post about the additions from the Annals of Beleriand I'm ok with them.