View Single Post
Old 07-16-2002, 11:19 AM   #17
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Airedae, I can relate. I had read the trilogy nine times, and it was part of the fabric of my life's tapestry. I have struggled intensely over thirty years trying to determine how Tolkien's stories and my own religious life could somehow -- at least-- get along. They were at odds for a long time. I set Tolkien aside-- or tried to-- for the past ten years. It wouldn't stay set aside! It kept resurfacing.

When the movie came out it resurfaced for good.

Tolkien intentionally created a myth, a huge, pervasive, encompassingly thorough myth. And I have just begun to realise that in my case-- it WORKED. I began to view reality in terms, and in the language and framework, of the myth that Tolkien created. That was his intention, for those who could receive it.

I think part of my ability to recieve it is improved by my recent studies and renewed interest in catholicism, especially catholic mysticism (I'm an ex-catholic evangelical) and this helps me understand, and recieve, Tolkien's mysticism.

My definitions of heroism, courage, self-sacrifice, immortality and death and suffering and numerous other concepts are hugely influenced by how Tolkien's characters lived and died. My definitions of holiness and purity are hugely influenced by Tokien's stories.

The fun thing is, that now, after the movie, not only am I (suddenly!) free, by my own choice and growth, to reintegrate Tolkien's stories with my faith-- but now these boards and sites (esp. the Downs) have become easily locate-able, and there are LOTS more people to talk to about it.

I had written fanfiction twenty-plus years before, but since then, I had burned it. Don't be upset-- it wasn't any good anyway! But now I am writing fanfiction again.

And I had read Tolkien-literary-analysis before. Now I participate in it, and it has a big impact on how I see things, and even on how I pray...

Am I grateful for the movie? Heck, yeah. Frodolijah pales beside BookFrodo-- but it was Frodolijah that made me look harder at BookFrodo and see what I had set aside. Have the Downs changed? I can't say, but I guess they must have; some threads seem to be getting rehashed endlessly; but there have been some threads that have, in large and small ways, changed my life.