View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 06:18 AM   #3
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil View Post
It seems you did skip all the introduction. That is not as I would handle it. I would rather keep all of the introduction.
Oh! I didn't jettison the introduction (in the text), of course. I simply skipped the intro when I proposed changes here, considering I did not find anything to change in it.

Quote:
I agree that we have to skip the death of Fingolfin from speech of Finrod, but I find it to much of a liberty to introduce Argon here instaed.
I agree. We should remove the reference to Argon.

Quote:
Arfin/Finarfin: I can understand how you arived at these changes, but I do not agree that the change is neccessary. If we would do it here, we would consequently have to change each and every name of the main charchters at least once in the long run of the Translation from the Elvish. With the main Charchters that might be possible, but with such small roles as Finarfin? I think we would leave our readers completly irritated. If we look into the published Silmarillion the names are rather stable. And I think that is an neccessity of readability or better understandability.
Considering this change - it might be a little strange to a reader who doesn't know the history of Finarfin's name, but I'm still inclined to keep it - but only when the mention of Arfin/Finarfin is coming from the mouth of a character (i.e. in the dialogue)

Quote:
Again I think that we have to use more of the Authors Note that introduced the Tale of Adanel. In the moment I am still in thought about how to do that, but I am sure that we should not take up the Tal of Adanel into the body of the text of the Athrabeht. It was Tolkiens explicite decision to let Andreth refuse to tell Finrod about the Fall of Men. In his commentray he gave the addition of the tal as a result of Númenorian editing. And it seems to me the best way to keep that destinction.
After some consideration I tend to agree with keeping the "Tale of Adanel" in the appendix. About the "author's notes" - I'll have to think about it and see if something could be salvaged - but the fact is that the "Athrabeth" is one of the few Tolkien's finished works and I am a bit reluctant to meddle with it too much.

Quote:
Last but least I think that we have to discuss the passages where the time frame is hinted at. Two passages, I think, give at least the expression of a much longer
time that elapsed between the awkening of Men and conversation of Andreth and Finrod. I will search the passages later and post them here for discussion.
Well, I did find some fishy passages - but I think they are ambiguous enough. (I mean, 300 years could still be taken as a long time, for example - although it wasn't in the context of 300 years that it was mentioned.)
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote