View Single Post
Old 10-27-2004, 07:29 AM   #30
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Concerning Celeborn, I would agree with the Doriath analogy. In many repsects, Lorien is a micro-Doriath. Thingol I am sure accepted the fact early on that without the Girdle, his kingdom would have been mostly overrun. I always viewed Celeborn's involvement in Lorien/ME affairs as tactical, having (in what would be I suppose the accepted version of cannon..?..?) a Teleri or Sindarin point of view, whereas Galadriel would have a more strategic take on events. Reading these chapters, I can see where one can interpret the attitude of Celeborn towards the fellowship as that he is almost (initially) ignorant of its mission. Clearly in Galadriel's testing, she recognizes the critical nature that the motives of 8 individuals could play in the success or failure of it.

I always appreciate the submission of Letters in these threads. I am confused - Is the magic generated by Galadriel in "activating" the mirror producing the goetic effect of warping time/space/causality that is perpetrated on the viewer?? Can someone define goeteia?

I always assumed the "Lorien effect" (no blemish, unstained etc) was a direct result of Galadriels presence. Do we think that the pre Lorien of Amroth had a similar condition? Also, were there mallorns there pre Galadriel? I thought she was the one who introduced them there.
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote