View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #28
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
On the downs

Jessamy hadn't immediately noticed the snow her gaze had been downcast through a mixture of shyness and shame at her folly and weakness but she followed Karl's gaze upwards and saw the flakes pale against the fading sky. They already started to settle on her hair and chilled her upturned face... she shivered and drew her cloak around her, grateful that she had brought it despite the bright promise of the morning - winter sun had no heat in it and a bright day often was followed by a very cold night. She so wanted to be home, safe by the fire with her family near that she nearly agreed with Karl ...but then she remembered Edwin standing at the barrow entrance in his shirtsleeves....

"No Karl we can't , it is too far... by the time you get me home it will be dark and Edwin hasn't got a cloak or anything... if he is stuck out here he will freeze."

In Bree
Jessamy was not at the Pony and at that point, Seth conceded that maybe Silas had not been worrying unnecessarily. Especially since Filbert, the youngest of the brothers was decidedly shifty when asked if he knew where she was. His brothers knew of old ways to extract the truth; resistance was futile - and potentially painful - in the face of the united front presented by his elders.

“Ow Seth, get off me... I think she’s gone to the Barrow Downs”.

Seth’s grip released through shock rather than mercy and all looked at Filbert aghast. It was not a place any off them would chose to venture save perhaps in the warmth and light of a midsummer day.

“What do you mean you think she’s gone?”

Filbert’s words now came in a rush “A group of lads have been planning to go for ages ... its been an open secret for weeks...Edwin and his crowd - and they went this morning - I think Jessamy tagged along.. she was here earlier.. Mum sent some stuff to Mrs Butterbur - then I think Jess changed clothes in the barn. Her basket is hidden in there with her dress.. When I saw her going towards the West gate she was wearing breeches and one of your old jerseys...”

He eyed nervously his brothers who were regarding him with something near digust

“You let her go? She’s ten Fil... didn’t you think you should stop her? Or at least tell someone?”

“I knew you were jealous of her, but I didn’t realise you actually hated her” , Seth’s accusation was painfully close to the truth.

“I ..I don’t hate her...” but Filbert had to admit to himself that he had hoped the sister he regarded as a spoilt brat would get into trouble for once.

“Well you better hope she gets back alright then”, Seth snarled and his fist clenched. Silas laid his had on his brother’s arm "I thought I was the over protective one" he observed drily.

Ever practical, it was Bryn who pointed out that recriminations wouldn’t help them find Jessamy.

Bryn and Silas unloaded the cart as quickly as possible while Seth ran to the East Gatehouse for news and Filbert was sent in to find if any new comers to the inn had travelled that road. Seth was back first and gasped his message as his brothers stacked the last of the logs. Jessamy had definitely followed the group but there had been no sight of any of them since the morning. But from the look of the clouds to the East he guessed there would be snow on the Downs ere night fall.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 02-05-2011 at 06:26 PM.