View Single Post
Old 07-04-2002, 10:21 AM   #382
NazgulNumber10
Wight

NazgulNumber10 has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

ok, now that i have read nar's article i can fully reply. I'm sorry to her about your friend, but take solice in the fact that i have never known a girl that well, and my only friend who enjoyed tolkien is going to a different high school than me. now back to fantasy. Yes i do care for my characters many of them are based on real people. My main character is based on me. he is isolated and lonely. others don't understand him and his thoughts are of hatred and contempt for another squire. He can't seem to get a break and an outcast among anyone. When his quest begins, unlike frodo, he has no idea what to do. He just wants to survive and from there, bits and pieces come together.
As for type of fantasy, mine is definitly immersation fantasy. I have created maps and story lines to write several four part book seires, 4 (working on a 5th) languages and i timelime that shows tens of thousands of years and events, indexes of names, and started an enciclopedia for it too. i have even recreated many scenes in lego (damn i'm a geek).
I think though, many immersation fantasys have some uniting factors.
1. a fellowship kinda thing. a group of people from many different walks of life who battle a common enemy. Most include a wizard, and elf, and an orphan
2. a battle against an ancient evil. most worlds have had a dark past with the reign of a dark lord (acually mine had no dark lord, but for ages the world lived in fear of a sleeping darkness). Now that dark lord seems to be returning to power and the fellowship must stop it.
thats all i can think of right now, but violating and ignoreing those factors makes for a more intressting novel.
}~NN10~{