Thread: Password
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #3118
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe

Quote:
Perhaps the setter is Huan, he drops a note (a) and to get HORNBURG we need ORBRG.
Huan isn't a setter. Tolkien seems to imply that he's some special breed native to Valinor. Also the answer isn't Hornburg, which is too close to Aglarond to make for a good password. As for doubly English: well, that's definitely not British. A possible clue for Hornburg would be something like "Short gardener joins Navy, getting back rations for use against Isengard."

Quote:
Originally Posted by G55
I've been playing around with Helm's Deep, on the premise that elm is a tree, there are a couple letters that could be used as notes, and maybe double E in deep is two Englands. But even if you stretch it this way, there are still extra bits. And no setter.
As I told Pervinca earlier on, the reason you can't make Helm's Deep fit the clue for 9 is that it's not the right answer. When I get a convoluted one like this, I usually forget about what the answer could be and try to break down the clue into instructions and mini-clues, then play around with solutions for those combined in different ways. Often I don't even bother with the overall definition until I think I have an answer. Never make assumptions about which part of the clue applies to which other part: it's a classic trick to get you applying an instruction for one element to another one through misleading grammar.

Last edited by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh; 11-23-2017 at 03:29 PM.
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is offline   Reply With Quote