View Single Post
Old 08-08-2004, 08:58 PM   #74
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
When Bethberry had finished treating Andhun the two boys had wandered back to the table they had been previously seated at. Cynan looked about for Rochadan, for he would have to leave soon and he did not want to leave Andhun alone. The latter boy was studying the table with deep concentration though it was plain to see that his mind was focused upon something other than the table. Cynan slid his chair sideways so he was closer to his friend and he said, "Andhun, tell me what you're thinking of."

"I was thinking of how Bethberry treated me," said Andhun. "It was so interesting the way she made up the different medicines, and so soothing to my hurts." He paused a moment to collect his thoughts, and then he cast a gentle gaze to Cynan, smiling softly. "It must be very wonderful to have the ability to comfort people so."

"There are other ways to comfort them, Andhun," said Cynan. "I was watching you the whole time and you were not comforted not only by Bethberry's treatment of your wounds, but you were also comforted in spirit. Her kind and gracious manner filled you with a peace and joy I sense you have not known for a long while, and combined with her soothing treatment to your wounds I suspect you are a little overwhelmed with all the goodness of it."

"I am, rather," Andhun admitted, "and more than a little bewildered, for I have come to grow unaccustomed to such kind treatment."

They said nothing more for awhile, but sat in silence. Andhun contemplated with increasing wonder the kindness he had known at the hands of those at the Tavern, and Cynan was filled with gratitude that he had found this lad and had been able to lead him to these good people. Perhaps not far from this day someone older and more able than he himself would find him and help him and his family. But now he must look after his family himself, and he must tend to his mother. He turned to Andhun and took his good hand, holding it tightly. "I must return home now," he said. "My family will perhaps need me now. Rochadan will take good care of you, so you need not fear in my absence. Seek out also the young woman Miss Kellan with her dog Grimm. Both are kind. The girl Ærosylle, too, will befriend you. Goodbye for now, Andhun. I will return as often as I may."

"Goodbye, dear friend," said Andhun with strong feeling, and as his good hand was clutched tight in the hold of his friend, he clumsily and weakly raised his right arm and awkwardly in manner but not in feeling embraced Cynan. "You have saved me much pain and sorrow, and I can never repay you for it, but I will do all I may. When you return to visit, bring your family with you. I am sure they will be welcome."

"You are always welcome at my home," said Cynan, and his voice was thick, for he was moved at Andhun's display of friendship. "Goodbye." He hastily and self-consciously returned the embrace, though not without genuine fondness, and then he pulled himself gently from his friend's hold and hurried out the door. Andhun limped to the window and stood there waving, and Cynan turned with a wink and a returned wave before he went skipping down the lane. Andhun returned in a lonely fashion to his table.