View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 11:15 PM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
From the movie or the book?

In the movie, oh my, the Return of the King battles take the prize every time. I get emotional just listening to the music. Theoden's war speech. The fell-and-fey charge into the hoard of orcs, the trumpets. (I give you my word, a chill ran down my spine, and tears came to my eyes simply remembering those beautiful horns.) I especially love that one guy who is riding his horse recklessly, a wordless angry growl on his lips, like he cannot WAIT to dive into those orcs and avenge his friends

Aragorn's heroic charge whilst the Howard Shore choir belts out the Fellowship theme for the first time in all its vocal glory is beautiful. The fact that the hobbits take the initiative in running out thereafter is also amazing, and then the soldiers of Middle-Earth outrun them in the onslaught of freedom.

Fellowship's battles are almost fun to watch, because there's such a broad arena for combat at Amon Hen. Boromir's last stand is a poignant tribute to his sacrifice and his honor. Two Towers' main battle was Helm's Deep, and while the build-up was great, there are some things cinematically that get on my nerves. Why are there TWO Legolas's riding in the front of the charge? Why are they swinging their swords at thin air while their horses are doing all the plowing through of the enemies? Why is their a hint of PINK in the background of the battle? (Yes, I know the reason, but still.) I was also bothered by the "Soldiers that don't fight anything" in the Warg battle. If you watch, there are soldiers dutifully swinging their swords at thin air as directed to, which the CGI guys missed in post.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16

Last edited by Knight of Gondor; 12-19-2007 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Changed "book" to "movie" as I was talking about movie battles
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote