View Single Post
Old 08-14-2003, 01:49 AM   #31
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I also like these version much more than Rog's company slaying a single Balrog. The new version has much more the heorisem of the old tale, but has also the advantage to be not specific about the number of Balrogs involved (and slain, since if someone likes to have one or more of the Balrogs in his own version of cannon slain by Rog, he can interpret the new version still in that way).

As you Maedhros, I would also like to hold more of the last sentenc. And since my last try in editing the Text seems to be not as bad as I thought, I will try again:
Quote:
They battered them[ with thier clubs] into {nought} [retreat], or catching at their whips [and] wield[ing] these against them, that they tore {them} [their skin] even as they had aforetime torn the {Gnomes} [Noldor]; and [that ]the {number of} Balrogs {that prished}[were defeated] was a marvel and dread to the hosts of Morgoth, {for}[ and] ere that day never had any of the Balrogs been slain by the hand of Elves or Men.
The last half sentence should in my version not indicat that Rog did slay a Balrog, but I am far form sure if I was succesfull with it. I wanted to retain it because it adds some more heroism to Ecthelion's and Glrofindel's deads later in the tale. But may be it is better to use it after the death of Gothmog?

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote