View Single Post
Old 10-08-2003, 02:03 PM   #40
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks for the welcomes [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ... looks like my £10 (ish) were well spent on HoMe X. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The way I see it, having read a lot of Tokien's later writings, is that a "Demon" would just be a maiar spirit who is evil. It's a generic cover all term...just like Valar's a generic term for the most powerful of the ainur.

Boldog and the other demon-Orks were lesser spirits (demons, maiar) in the form of Ork/Ork-like creatures.
Balrogs were some of the most pwoerful/the most powerful (with the probable exception of Sauron) demons around.
Morgoth had many, many different monsters under his command: imho, the use of Demon in Glorfindel's passage indicates a certainly non-Balrog (and it's unlikely it was a Boldog either) maiar spirit (with a bodily form, obviously [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) under Morgoth's command. It's quite possible there were many, maybe of different types, at the Fall of Gondolin.

(Maybe even replacing/alongside the "new" dragons? - though of course, this last sentance is just entirely speculation based on nothing! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote