View Single Post
Old 01-09-2003, 02:54 PM   #6
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
More importantly the Tolkien intend for the Ent's to aid Beren's assualt against the Nogrodian Dwarves?
As aiwendil answered, yes he did.

Just to let those who do not have [or have not read HoME 11] get some idea of the final picture I will try and provide a summary of what we are left with.

CJRT collected all that could salvaged from JRRT's work [including scavenging the letters!]for the concluding sections in the Silm and placed them in the "tale of Years" section of HoME XI wherein he lists the long string of sketches for the resolution of the LQS [Later Quenta Silmarillion]. It is from this that CJRT drew much [but not all] of the inspiration for his version off the Ruin of Doriath. What JRRT did not postulate and CJRT [ with Guy Kay] invented to reconcile imbedded contradictions, was Thingol's murder by the Dwarves already in Menegroth.

This explained how the Dwarves were able to enter the Girdle, which other wise was left unresolved by JRRT. He also removed Hurin's companions [ who are very much intact and likely to be involved somehow at least up to Hurin's recovering the nauglamir from Menegroth] and their bringing a hard to mengroth, CJRT reduced the hoard of Nargothrond/Glaurang to just the Nauglamir.

I think the main thing we can do for this section is to mesh [ or rather preface] the Wanderings of Hurin into the Ruin as far as the texts will allow. It could be that bits of BoLT 2 will aid this. I have not really perused the problem in detail, leaving it till FOG is complete [at the earliest], other options are to peice together a RoD from JRRT's sketches, the Q30, sketch and BoLT. A truly daunting hodge podge and possibly fruitless undertaking.

CJRT's version has many merits:
- it removes a contradiction which JRRT never satisfactorily resolved.
- It reads extremely well [imo], condensed though it is and is extremely plausible.
- it is already written [!] and was for over a decade accepted as THE Ruin of Doriath, and still is for most folks who have not read HoME 2, 4 or 11.

Personally, interesting topic though it is I probably will not be adding any more to the conversation till the group get's there.

That being said though, we might as well make this an official **Ruin of Doriath speculation thread** if others however, want to continue exploring the possiblilities.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote