View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #435
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Garstan sketched lines onto a sheet of paper, showing Stigend the plans Eodwine and he had planned for the hall's renovations. There was work in plenty for both stone shaper and carpenter.

He pointed around the hall. They sat in the left corner, near the wall to the kitchen. A door, Garstan said, was to be cut almost directly behind the spot where they sat, connecting the great hall to a corridor that would go to a new kitchen. Both had yet to be built. The old kitchen, its rear wall still only half repaired from the earlier collapse, would then be merged into the great hall. The three walls of the great hall, kitchen, and corridor would then enclose a new courtyard, with the alder as its centerpiece.

There was, of course, other work as well. The firepit in the great hall needed completion to make a fireplace. There would be shelving and pantries in the new kitchen and the corridor between it and the main hall and any number of other projects. Garstan's head spun with the enormity of the project. He hadn't time to consider it before, with the news of Linduial's kidnapping coming hard upon his proposal and the days upon days of searching afterward that banished all thought of work from his mind. He had only started measurements to position the new kitchen and hallway yesterday. Now, with Stigend before him, he was beginning to plan in earnest, and was nearly overwhelmed by the massive amount of work that truly had to be done before the construction would be finished. It was fortunate, indeed, that both the carpenter and Dwarf were present.

Garstan led Stigend back out to the alder court, pointing out where the lines had been drawn for the new portions of the building. While he was showing Stigend the progress, little as it was, that had been made, Lčođern suddenly ran around the corner from the stables to tug at Garstan's sleeve.

"Come, hurry! Linduial's leaving. We have to say good-bye."

Farewells. This would be awkward. But the farewells would have to be said, and quickly, hopefully putting to rest any discomfort after last night's episode.

"Your pardon, Stigend. If Linduial is about to depart, I should bid her farewell. I will return shortly. Please, think upon the plans! We shall have much to discuss."

"Of course," he replied. "I wouldn't have you miss the chance to say good-bye."

Lčođern and Garstan headed to the stable.

"Do you think she'll come back?" Lčođern's voice was sad.

"Yes. I think she will." Garstan looked down at Lčođern's tangled curls and, clutching her hand, added, "I know she will."

Inside, Saeryn and Linduial stood close together. Garmund had preceded his father and sister's arrival by a few moments and stood at the edge of a stall, waiting. Lčođern pulled away and ran to Linduial, hugging her around the knees. Garstan jumped forward as Lčođern's quick motion nearly toppled Linduial, but stopped as Saeryn caught them, lifting Lčođern to Linduial's uninjured arm.

"Good-bye, Lin! Come back soon, please. I'll miss you." Linduial lifted her gently and Lčođern rested her head on Linduial's shoulder, questioning her friend's departure until she received assurance that their separation would not be permanent.

With her farewells said, Lčođern left the stable, and Garstan approached Linduial with some trepidation to add his well wishes for her journey. "Farewell, my lady. May you have a safe journey." In his thought, he added, Please, don't let last night come between us. Let us part as friends.

Last edited by Celuien; 07-12-2006 at 03:39 PM.