View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #99
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Murry View Post
Do you mean, like Elrond taking in Aragorn and adopting him as a foster son after the two-year-old baby's father, Arathorn II, met a violent death; naming the kid "Estel" to conceal his identity because of all the people who would want to kill him if they knew his true lineage? That G. R. R. Martin sure does know how to write "original" fantasy. But thanks for explaining the "Jon Snow moment." Now I know whatever it means to know something like that.
That only works if Elrond lied to Aragorn and everyone else about his parentage, and saddled him with the undeserved taint of bastardy ("Yeah, I knocked up some tavern trollop in Bree."). Oh, and then "Estel" hooked up with a girl way, way more closely related to him than Arwen (unwittingly, of course).

And if Tolkien had kept the reveal of all these facts from the reader until somewhere in Book VI; Strider the Bastard fights his way down to Gondor having no idea he has any claim to the throne.

----------------

"You'll never find a virtue un-statusing my quo,
Or making my Beelzebubble burst.
You can take the high road, and I'll take the low;
I cannot wait to rush in where angels fear to go."

--Mordred

(Never be another lyricist like Fritz Loew).