View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 09:48 PM   #143
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhun charioteer View Post
To be pedantic, I don't think the orocarni were that close. They should be further in the east.
I agree, but then again they're not necessarily meant to be the Orocarni. They could just be an Eastern mountain chain someone made up to add something to the map. For all we know, whoever added them to the map has no idea what an "Orocarni" even is.

Someone on Reddit (who amusingly refers to it as "That stupid mountain range") claims that this non-Tolkien addition to the map predates this Amazon series and possibly appears in the films too. I'm curious as to where it originated.

UPDATE: Maybe it originates from the "official" (ie film-official) maps made for the Hobbit films, e.g. this. I wonder why on earth anyone felt the need to add a non-canonical element to the maps for that. Maybe at some point in the film script "Eastern Dwarves" were going to be mentioned or something, along with the kitchen sink presumably. However, the Reddit person claims (in a rather vehement discourse in another thread) that they pre-date even the Lord of the Rings films, although they don't give any evidence for that.

If it is meant to be the Orocarni, presumably the coast wouldn't be far away and Rhūn as a whole would be tiny. In my opinion, Rhūn should be huge: far, far larger than the Middle-earth we see, like comparing Europe and Asia.

Last edited by Zigūr; 02-17-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Zigūr is offline   Reply With Quote