View Single Post
Old 08-23-2003, 06:24 PM   #85
Dain Ironfoot
Haunting Spirit

Dain Ironfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Despite the initial appearance Fréa had given that he was about to snap off his younger sibling's head, he'd pulled back, relented, and cajoled his brother to retire to their room so they could speak in private. Fréa vowed to rein in his temper and have a serious talk with Archim about what they were doing and how his brother could forever seal the family's doom if he did not keep his behavior under control.

Fréa shot a sly glance at Archim as he took down his gear and began to unpack, growling out an initial warning under his breath, "This time, I don't intend to to get asked to leave. Too much is riding on us being here. After all, Brytta can't vanish into the mists. He's not some wildman to go live in the forests. There are few populated towns along this route. Somehow, someway, there has to be something in Bree that will show us what the Hildesons had in mind."

Archim looked over and grunted his acquiescence, looking very young and foolish. At this point Frea mellowed and spoke more gently, "Archim, please no gaming. We've got to keep our wits about us. I need to go to the marketplace and speak with some of the vendors and present myself to the authorities. This could be it.....the big break we've all been waiting for. The King will be grateful if we can track down and bring a criminal to justice. It can make a difference in our lives, not just for me but for all of us. All those things you've been wanting..."

Fréa's words trailed off as he surveyed Archim's crowlike form spread out recumbent on the bed. By all the Valar, it hadn't been easy for his brother. From childhood up, he'd been the but of jokes for his scrawny looks and appearance. Fréa felt a surge of genuine affection take hold. Despite all their squabbles, Archim had a special spot in his heart. He wanted to watch over him and make sure things came out right. And this time was no exception. As the older brother left the bedchamber and swung the door closed, Archim had picked up a jugful of beer and raised the container up to his lips. "Stay here, in the room," Fréa pleaded urgently. "Get as drunk as you want but keep yourself out of trouble." With those final words of warning, the older sibling turned and left.

[ August 23, 2003: Message edited by: Dain Ironfoot ]