View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Gollum was well-done. Using mo-cap was the best of both worlds - having Serkis ground the character so that we get its expressions/actions correct, and using CG to make Gollum look like I'd imagined. There was even the whole tado after FotR where (methinks) PJ got more pixels, and the details of the character's visage got that much better.

"The scene" was just brilliant, and remember my illiterate sister thinking for a moment that there were two Gollums/Smeagols. Andy Serkis' voice also fit well with the character.

That said, one never gets the impression that Gollum is truly a vile creature. In the Books there are hints that he may have stolen babes for food, but in the Movies he appears to have done murder but once, and that on his birthday. Also it's Faramir that turns him, not his own screwed up noodle. And sadly, Gollum gets his gotcha scene where he goes over a cliff in RotK (hmm, where did I see that before?).

In summary, I think that Gollum was one of the better character portrayals, loin cloth and all.