View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 07:01 AM   #39
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
After a further day of thought and some reading, I will give in. Aiwendil made a good point with his argument that "Maeglin" could also represent a change back to the old story. What I found in addition was this detail from Q30:
Quote:
This ford the Dwarves must past ere they reached the mountain passes that led unto their homes ...
That clearly suggested that there were more than one pass over Ered Luin. Thus it is likley that at least one pass (that the Edain used) led into Ossirand, and it is still possible that the pass south of Dolmed led into Thargelion. Nevertheless many thanks to both of you for a good discussion on this point it had brought me to a much better understanding of the geography of Eastern-Beleriand and the journey of the Edain.

Thus at the long last we will take the battle to be at the ford named Athrad Daer which led over the Duin Daer and the Green-Elves will - implicit of course - transport the hoard and drown it in the River Ascar which is then renamed Rathmallen.

On small possible add I found while rereading what we have done:
Quote:
§47 (§324) <TN Now were the warriors on the far bank {[? }wrapped{]} in battle and rallying sought to come at their foes, but these fled nimbly before them> RD-EX-75 <Sil77 eastwards towards the mountains. And as they {climbed the long slopes beneath Mount Dolmed}<editorial change entered the woods on the further bank> there came forth the Shepherds of the Trees, and they drove the Dwarves into the shadowy woods of Ered Lindon: whence, it is said, came never one to climb the high passes that led to their homes.> RD-EX-76 <TN Now was that {great }fight of the {Stony}[Great] Ford{ ......} nigh to Naugladur>. In that battle the Green Elves took the Dwarves unawares as they were in the midst of their passage, laden with their plunder; and the Dwarvish chiefs were slain, and well nigh all their host{.}, RD-EX-77 <TN for even though Naugladur and his captains led their bands stoutly never might they grip their foe, and death fell like rain upon their ranks RD-EX-77.5<TN , since {[?}others{]} poured still the hail of arrows upon them, and thus got the Eldar few hurts and the Dwarf-folk fell dead unceasingly> until the most part broke and fled, and a noise of clear laughter echoed from the Elves thereat, and they forebore to shoot more, for the illshapen figures of the Dwarves as they fled, their white beards tornby the wind, filled them with mirth.>
Only RD-EX-77.5 is new. We did not use this earlier since their it was the rôle of the Ents to fight down the dwarves but it would fit here nicely as a better discription of the tactic of the Green-Elves.

Also I marked this point:
Quote:
§51d (§331) ... But {Gwendelin}[Melian] told of the dragon's ban upon the gold and the {[? }staining{]} of blood in the king's halls, ‘and yet another and more potent curse, whose arising I know not, is woven therewith,’ said she, ‘nor methinks was the labour of the Dwarves free from spells of the most enduring malice.’ ...
I think with changed story "the staining of blood in the king's halls" is outdated. We should replace it by a some other phrase. What's about:
Quote:
§51d (§331) ... But {Gwendelin}[Melian] told of the dragon's ban upon the gold and the {[? }staining{]} of blood in the king's {halls}[death], ‘and yet another and more potent curse, whose arising I know not, is woven therewith,’ said she, ‘nor methinks was the labour of the Dwarves free from spells of the most enduring malice.’ ...
Since Thingol is slain while he is caught by the necklace in some bushes the necklace would clearly be bloodstained by his death and possibly not only figurativly.

Otherwise I think we are done with this part of the Ruin of Doriath. The next part are the Wanderings of Húrin. I have provided a list of changes in the thread "The Ruin of Doritah - The Shadow Falls on Brethil".

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote