View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #14
gondowe
Wight

gondowe has just left Hobbiton.
Hello again

On the book “Traducciones del élfico”, (“Translations from the elvish”), the basis text I decided to use, was that of The Silmarillion published. I had and I have the original edition, there’s no translation into Spanish of the last edition revised (I think from 2001).

I used this basis because I think we must have respect with the work made by CT, a work of cohesion and connection between the whole mythology. I only change the story in the matter of the Ruin of Doriath. The part he invented and perhaps (as we can read in “The War of the Jewels”) he was not proud of it.

But this basis, first, I compared with the texts in MR and TWotJ, the annals and the Quenta Silmarillion proper, adding material discarded ( if was not discarded from JRR or contradicts other thing), and overall, the dialogues that CT omitted.

I left aside material like “Athrabeth”, “Quendi and Eldar” “The statute of Finwe and Miriel”(the discussion of the Valar), etc, because, or there are incomplete or ,like the Athrabeth, there are not (I think) “Quenta Silmarillion” texts. But I mention these works with an editorial sentence in the corpus of the text when proceed, and so we can read it, if we want.

Then, I was introducing material (paragraphs, sentences, etc) from the other texts before the 50’s or after the 60’s, when it was convenient and didn’t confront with the story.

I don't remember how many (for there were many) sentences, paragraphs,etc and where I introduced them, but in other posts I will explain these I'm going remembering, and if you answer things like with the FoG, it will be easier.

In a post above I wrote the general title.
The structure of Eldanyarë or Quenta Silmarillion proper is:

The same titles as in the published work except:

Ch24 Of the Wanderings of Húrin
Ch25 Of the Nauglamir and the Ruin of Doriath
Ch27 Of the Voyage of Earendil and the rising of the New Star
Ch28 Of the Great battle and the War of Wrath
Ending with The Second Prophecy of Mandos.

(Edit)
I had forgotten
Ch6 Of Finwe and Miriel
ch11 Of the Rape of the Silmarils and the Thieve's Quarrel

I am waiting to buy the new edition of The Silmarillion in Amazon, when “Arda Reconstructed” will be released.
But for the moment, can anybody tell me differences between the 77 edition and this one?, what changes or additions had made CT?

Thanks and greetings.

Last edited by gondowe; 03-07-2009 at 06:23 PM.
gondowe is offline   Reply With Quote