View Single Post
Old 02-26-2003, 05:40 PM   #9
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Rina:

Quote:
"Fro-" as in forward, and "do" as in an action.
This is precisely what I had been thinking. Frodo was the one who did 'do' the deed of continuing 'fro'-ward, no matter what.

Thanks, Carorëiel, for the reference. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Eressië Ailin: You're welcome. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
Actually, I've only looked into the Elvish names.
What have you turned up?

Angry Hill Troll: Hi, Troll, I'm Dwarf. Meet my friend, Hobbit. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

'wyn' is equivalent to 'friend' or 'friendly' in Anglo Saxon. I'm not sure what 'eo' stands for in Anglo Saxon, though.

What about the word, "Eotheod"? That has half of Theoden's name in it, too.

Now to really spice things up. I was trying to think up a name for the beings in a story I'm writing, which are based on the Hebrew mythic tale found in Genesis chapter 6, about the sons of the gods. I came up with: El (god) - Bar (son) = El-bar. Think of those linguistic laws and allow for a little bit of slippage of the tongue and you have: El-var - then El-far. Elvar. Elfar. Elves. The Elves as such, in myth come down to us from Nordic an Celtic myths, where they are called (Nordic) Elves and (Celtic) Tuatha de Danaan. They're the same basic thing. Was Tolkien playing a linguistic joke by calling his Elves the El-dar? Ne?
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote