View Single Post
Old 06-19-2003, 06:20 PM   #32
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Actually, I'm surprised that the whole Elrond/Elros discovery slipped my mind. That did indeed play a great part in their naming. I think that Elros's name can also be taken a little deeper. His name means "Star-foam." Waves have foam don't they? Elros became the King of the Mariner-Kingdom, Numenor. Perhaps Tolkien wanted to "prepare" him for his later role.
Another reason why both Elrond and Elros' names start with "El-" is that, considering the theory that it was Earendil himself who named them before leaving on the Quest of Eldamar (as I like to call it), and wanted to keep their names close to that of their mother, Elwing. He also probably wanted to keep their names close to those of Elwing's lost brothers, Elured and Elurin, and of Elu Thingol, the King of the Sindar. After all, the little twins had quite a lineage.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote