View Single Post
Old 06-24-2003, 09:19 PM   #37
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

ok here we go

Galadriel "Galad" this comes from the root "cal" or "gal" it means "shine" With Galadriel her name was often corrupted to "Galadhriel" but these two words have NO connection between Galad and galadh meaning "tree". in Quenya, Galadriel is Alatariel. Alata meaning 'radiance' and riel "garlanded maiden". Loose translation, "madien crowned with a radiant garland" a reference to her hair.

Glorfindel. Glor is Sindarin(I believe) foe gold or golden. Fin or findel is hair. Glor-findel "golden haired"

Now, wierdly enough, thre's a strange story behing the name of Elrond. According to elvish lore ele was the primitive word "behold" used when the elves first saw the stars. Thusly 'el' or "elen" is Quenya for star (gil being Sindarin). Also according to lore "Eldar" means "People of the stars' and was givien to them by Orome. This word described all kindreds. the Sindarin for elf was Edhil or Edhel. Now, I learned that El-wing meant "star spray" from the starlight that shone throught the waterfall on the night she was born. "El" could mean "Elf' in Sindarin and "star" in Quenya "Rond is essentially the same in either tongue, a vaulted or arched roof wich could b applied to the dome of the sky. "El-rond" Elf of the cave as called by Gil-Galad and Cirdan. Or perhapes the starry dome of the heavens?