View Single Post
Old 04-06-2002, 09:47 PM   #9
Fingo
Haunting Spirit

Fingo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Fingo
Ring

Tolkein defiently had Christian influence (yes i know we've already established that). He was good friends with C.S. Lewis, author of the clearly Chrsitian series, the Chronicles of Narnia. But while Lewis used all kinds of obvious allegories in his books, Tolkein was much more subtle (this is what i believe anyway).

The only really clear stand-out-and-grab-you allegory in LOTR was in the Two Towers, when Gandalf returns as the White Rider and Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas don't recognize him at first. This is a replica of Jesus meeting some of his disciples on the road to Damascus after his Resurrection. Frodo at times displays Jesus like characteristics, as does Sam. I am a Christian and when I found out about Tolkien being a Christian, I went back and tried to find some of that influence coming through LOTR.
I shamefully admit I haven't gotten around to reading the Sil yet. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] So when i research a little more, I'll come back. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ April 06, 2002: Message edited by: Fingo ]

[ April 06, 2002: Message edited by: Fingo ]