View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #29
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
White Tree

Wow, it been a long time since I posted in the project. I need to ask a question first with the generalities of the text.
Since the new Children of Húrin, our base text for the story of Túrin are the Narn found in Unfinished Tales and what we have in the Published Silmarillion.
Now that we have a new Narn, besides the small differences from the previous sources does it affects our base text.
For example, if we have the same two parragraphs from both the Sil77 and the newNarn, should we present it belonging to which one?

Ok, now to begin
About NA-TI-02b.
Quote:
NA-TI-02b <CoH But now the tale returns to Húrin and Huor in the days of their youth. It is said that for a while the sons of Galdor dwelt in Brethil as foster-sons of Haldir their uncle, according to the custom of Men in that time. They often went to battle with the Men of Brethil against the Orcs, who now harried the northern borders of their land; for Húrin, though only seventeen years of age, was strong, and Huor the younger was already as tall as most full-grown men of that people.
On a time Húrin and Huor went with a company of scouts, but they were ambushed by the Orcs and scattered, and the brother were pursued to the ford of Brithiach.
The original text from the Gray Annals
Quote:
§161 It is said that at this time Húrin and Huor, the sons of Galion were dwelling with Haleth [added later: their kinsman] as fostersons (as the custom then was among northern Men); and they went both to battle with the Orcs, even Huor, for he would not be restrained, though he was but thirteen years in age. And being with a company that was cut off from the rest, they were pursued to the ford of Brithiach;
Posted by Findegil
Quote:
This is the intro to the yourney to Gondolin. It is changed in sofar as the battle with the Orcs is not a speacial one which in my view is disearable. I changed the complet text of teh Gondolin episode to CoH since it is easier in the text composition without changing anythink substantially from out composit text from Sil77 and GA.
I may miss something, but why is that battle with the Orcs not desirable?