View Single Post
Old 02-15-2004, 02:48 PM   #293
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Aman

Aman watched Tobias carefully as he trailed off and suddenly became very interested in the rather scorched hairs on his feet. Although she personally had missed his little outburst on why all foreigners should be expugned from the Shire, his views of all non-hobbit folk were well known, and she was not in the mood to make this any easier for him if he had anything to imply. However, when he stopped, realising, she nodded, satisfied. "Indeed, I have some experience with horses, as I am indeed from Rohan," she smiled slightly and he looked bashful, before she went on, "and used to be a horse trainer. Where is the Shirrif?"

Tobias led her to the stables, with Rochfalmar following impatiently. They arrived apparently just in time, for as the Innkeeper appeared in the doorway, one of the horses, fretful about the smoke, gave a great whinny as it reared up, and the twine tying it to the stall side finally snapped. Perilously near it's flailing hooves stood a panic-stricken Fredgar. Hastily handing Rochfalmar's leadrein to Tobias with a gabbled disclaimer, Aman dived forward to knock him out of the way, closing the stable-door sharply behind her. She spent a few moments trying to calm the horse - it wasn't that large, only about 15 and a half hands, but to a hobbit it would certainly be rather daunting; certainly nothing the Rohirrim Innkeeper couldn't handle. Holding the horse firmly by the the frayed end of twine attached to it's head-collar, she turned to the Shirrif, who was dusting himself down, and inclined her head apologetically to him. "Apologies, Mister Hornblower."

Fredgar smiled quickly, slightly embarrased by gracious, an excellent quality in the hobbit. "Quite alright, Miz Aman, thankee kindly. Now...about all these horses...?" he trailed off, spreading his hands.

"You are used to horses, Mister Hornblower?"

Fredgar gave a sort of shrugging nod. "Well enough, well enough - well, ponies at any rate."

Aman nodded. "Then it is only the ponies I shall require you to deal with. There is a far pen, a paddock, some way beyond the Inn yard but owned by the Inn premises. I believe we will be able to put the horses and ponies there, at least for a while, which will take them away from the fire, the smoke from which is distressing them, and give the customers somewhere to shelter and rest out of the rain. Ruby and Buttercup were talking about setting up a soup fire as well, which is excellent - just so long as we can get all these steeds out and into the paddock. What say you?"

Fredgar nodded eagerly, straightening his jacket and looking purposefully at two of the ponies. "Aye, Miz Aman, indeed - Tobias will probably help as well, once he is brought around to it."

Just don't tell him it was the idea of a foreigner... Aman thought grimly, but smiled gratefully, thankful for the hobbit Shirrif's help. "Thank you kindly, Shirrif. I will take Rochfalmar and this here horse," she nodded towards the fretful grey horse whose headcollar she still had a firm grip on, but who was nonetheless attempting to gnaw at the Innkeeper's fingers, then continued, "out first. Select one pony, or two if you are alright with it, and follow when you are ready. Don't come too close behind, mind - I don't think this little one here will bear any aggravation from anyone or anything, hmm?" She smiled at the horse, almost addressing the last part to it - it was quite cute, in a mischievious sort of way, and she wondered who owned it. "Follow about 20 metres behind, say."

With that, she reopened the door and took Rochfalmar's halter from a relieved Tobias, who then got called in by his cousion. With the mischievous little mare in one hand and magnificent Rochfalmar in another, Aman set off across the yard. When she was about half way across, she caught sight of Hawthorne. The hobbit's expression was troubled, and when Aman smiled wearily at her, she looked positively as if she was about to cry. Aman's brow creased and she made a mental note to ask what was wrong once she had deposited the pair of horses in the field, before Hawthorne seemed to make up her mind and began hurrying towards her...

Last edited by Amanaduial the archer; 02-15-2004 at 03:14 PM.