View Single Post
Old 02-16-2004, 09:41 AM   #298
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Roa ate the soup ferociously. She remembered a time, back before the War of the Ring, when she was here in the northern forests. She was eating, and one of her friends remarked that she had the appetite of a hobbit. King Ellesar, who was then known only as Aragorn, had walked by and chuckled at the comment. He kept walking. Her friends had ribbed her about making a slob of herself in front of the King, for even then he was recognized by the Dunedain. Roa had defended herself by asserting she had earned the meal with all of her hard labor that day. She had done well, indeed. Afterall, she was partially responsible for the food they ate that day.

With such a memory in mind, she was unapologetic as she finished off the second bowl. She had earned that today as well. The steady throbbing in her arm and head reminded her that she had also earned a trip to the healer. The soup was reviving her little by little. She felt certain that soon she would regain her memory. It was only a matter of time. She smiled over her bowl at the thought, in Snaveling's direction. He did not return the gesture. He seemed ill at ease, as though he feared something here. He glanced at Valthalion, and then away quickly. Is it Valthalion he fears? That would be understandable, roa mulled it over. Thinking she had found the reason of his discomfort, Roa spoke up.

"Sir, you have shown me kindness in your actions. Before, I told you that no harm would come to you through me, save in self defense. As much as you dislike my people, we are true to our word. If you are no danger from me, and as for Valthalion, I will not allow him to harm you either. You will have nothing to fear from either of us. I am a servant of King Elessar, a Dunedain of the North, and our word is binding till death." Snaveling gaped, as though he had never expected such a promise nor held such a notion as binding words. It was uncomfortable for her to meet a man who did not hold to his word. However, she had added the exception of self-defense, which relieved her somewhat. Rangers always spoke carefully for their word was indeed binding.

"You are very gracious, my lady, I thank you for your words." Snaveling replied after a long moment. He spoke as one choosing his words carefully. Roa could see the many thoughts grinding through his head, and wished she had the power of the great Elves to read them. Take care to know your emeny's movements, an instructor had once told her. Very well then, she would keep a very close eye on Snaveling, and Valthalion for that matter. He was too rash to be left with out guidance.

The pain was becoming more insistant, and even as he shifted, Snaveling visibly winced. Roa decided it was time for that healer. She rose carefully to her feet. "Come, you and I must be tended to, or we will fall apart!" she laughed. Joy was a natural part of her being, and stayed the sorrow with which so many of her people had lived with for so long. Now it aided her in lowering Snaveling's guard, and he rose with her with what passed for a smile. Together, they went to find a healer.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen