View Single Post
Old 03-06-2003, 12:17 PM   #122
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

They had no choice really but to bury Berethion there, along with Yenhofir and Faryn. They had no way of carrying them back after all, as they no longer had any horses, having lost them when they were taken by the dark elves. A patch under the trees was the spot they had chosen, quite shaded, but pleasantly light, and far enough away from the trolls cave. As she placed the last stone on the small pile over his grave, Tallin stood up and stepped back, dusting the earth from her fingers. For a few moments longer than the others, Tallin, Raye and Hwesta stood silent, remembering their friend, but the grief was no longer as raw, just brooding.

Tallin looked at the other two with silent question, and they nodded slowly.

"Aye." Raye said, her voice quiet. "That is done, and whats done is done."

Tallin turned to Hwesta. The elf maid said nothing but she was less distraught than she had been earlier. Tallin squeezed her hand consolingly and the other smiled sadly at her. She took a deep breath, breathing the now sweet air, away from the stench of the troll, and the air of death around the cave.

"Come then, my friends. We will leave this place, and such memories grim of the troll. But never leave behind the memories that came with those who fell when we fought here, no matter how little, or how well, you knew them. Truly, they shall be missed." She sighed, then smiled, happier now that the burials had taken place and that they had been able to say goodbye to the trio, especially Berethion, properly. She turned to Dimithil and Ainabeleth, the two siblings hand in hand. "Will your kin give you shelter in Lorien?"

Dimithil nodded hastily. "Oh, yes. If they did not, they would not be fit to live in the forest of Lorien."

"Then to Lorien shall the journey go. You should reach it in a few days, not long really. The elves there are kind, they will give you shelter-"

"Wait a minute," Raye interrupted the wolf tamers gabble, smiling slightly, and Tallin was pleased to see it, for Raye had not had much reason to smile of late. "I notice a distinct mention of 'you', and a noticable lack of 'we'. You mean to say you will not travel to Lorien? After all that has happened and all we have been through together, especially in these last few days?"

Tallin smiled back at the group, but sadly this time. "Tis doubtful I would be accepted. Those in Lorien would not trust wolves, and I doubt they would trust one who was closely linked with them."

"Then that means I shall not be able to go either. For you know well Tallin that I as closely linked to wolves as you, whether for good or bad."

"I shall not go to Lorien either." Hwesta piped up here, and the group looked at her in surprise; she had been silent ever since they had returned to the cave. She blushed slightly, but turned to Tallin. "Tallin, when we met, you told me I had every chance to get out and see the world, that I didnt need to just stay at home, just become a wife, and never see the world outside. Well, Id like to take that chance. If it would be you, someone who my brother liked and trusted well, who took me. What do you think?" She smiled hopefully. Tallin stared at her incredulously, then smiled right back. "And to take such a beloved sister of such a one, making us, well, almost sisters...it would be a pleasure." Hwesta beamed back at her.

Tallin turned to the rest. "So myself and Hwesta will return to Mirkwood, then onto, well, who knows where? But the rest of you...where will you now travel to?"

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]