View Single Post
Old 12-30-2004, 10:13 AM   #11
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe mythic unities

I'm going to have to start a new thread, because this idea of mythic unity goes way beyond the scope of this one. But just to give you a clue as to what I'm talking about, I think that Tolkien achieved a lot of mythic unities in LotR. That is to say, he re-combined things in various races that had gotten pulled from each other. I'll get into more detail in the new thread.

Lalwendė, you've hinted at it with your conception that hobbits are more like faeries than animals. I would agree with you, except that I would state it thusly: hobbits' faerie nature partakes (in part) of a fascinating combination of humanity and animality.

Child, yes, I think the animality/humanity of hobbits says a lot about us, and I tend to think that JRRT knew exactly what he was getting at with it.

I still think that the WW1 trenches have more to do with Tolkien's Mordor than the Shire.

And I agree that the five primary hobbits do go beyond the animality/humanity unity; after all, they are the main characters! They would have to. Nevertheless, Samwise never loses the unity. Being a happily married gardener (and mayor) is all about the animality of being human. Onto that new thread!
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote