View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #57
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Kohran View Post
So what does this mean? It's okay for Tolkien to do something but not for Jackson to do the same?
Images are still more powerful than words, & thus require more control in their depiction. My memories of the movies are overwhelmingly of violence, bloodshed & beheadings. My memories of the book are overwhelmingly of beauty, sadness, loss, vast landscapes & the like.

Quote:
I think you're exagerrating here...they are violent, but compared to films like Gladiator or Braveheart they aren't very gory.
Yes, but Jackson was told to aim for a wider audience in order to make as much profit as possible. In the UK FotR got a PG certificate (for a general audience) & TT & RotK got 12 certificates (for 12 & over). Gladiator was given an 18 certificate.

Quote:
Did anyone laugh when Haldir was cut down by the Uruks?
I did. By that point the whole thing had descended into farce for me. Actually I cheered when the ugly fat Elf bought it.

Quote:
Occasionally he did:

Merry had cut off several of their arms and hands. Good old Merry!
I don't interpret that as humourous.