View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #32
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I am a mod, as is Bb, and we would have to ban ourselves -- an interesting mental picture to be sure.

Exceptions, in moderation (no mod pun intended), can be amusing and entertaining, but this is not a thread about nothing, nor a thread anout anything. SpM, Bb, and I are carrying on comparing bizarre ideas in true Downs fashion, though our parodic fashion taste may be perceived as somewhat skewed.

Towards that end, I'd like to address the value judgements being introduced to this conversation by The Might:
Quote:
I'd like to say that it's this $ + € that really matters.
Being One-Who-Speaks-Only-One-Language-Fluently, i.e. an American, one might find it strange that I would object to the omission of "£", but as it has been around far longer than "$", and shows no sign of kowtowing to the upstart "€", the fierce independence of "£" is certainly worthy not only of mention but even of prominence. However, we are descending into mere speculation and opinion, since the relative values of $, €, and £ are subject to change almost moment-by-moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bb
the "?" is unstable--really, it's a bit of a unicycle, a self-referring bit of circular argument that could threaten to create a rut more than a wide avenue for going forth with the topic.
Your point is well taken, but seriously, Bb, you can't preclude the legitimate use of something just because some choose to abuse it. The fact that the Downs has been one preeminent locus of circumlocution on the internet should not preclude those of mens sano who exercise their "?" (and even, in certain circumstances, a sparingly-used "?!") in proper order to prevent the rut from becoming a grave. Indeed, that which had been the shovel by which one might erringly excavate his/her own interring could indeed become the ladder by which one might effect an escape from the dreaded ditch.

Nevertheless, we must be ever the more watchful, as Bb rightly implies, lest our unsorted sorties become sordid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bb
The dot has the virtue of signifying landfall, as in "here beginneth a discussion", "at this point", "this spot flagged for further development." A little dot will do it.
And all this time I thought it was "x" that marked the spot.

EDIT: I am lately made aware by the fair Miss Bb that she is no longer a mod. Which means I could admonish her for replying in kind to my semi-silliness, but with that pointed finger there would be at least three pointing back at me, and not on my own hand.