View Single Post
Old 08-10-2003, 09:23 AM   #24
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I will needto closely read the material which is not easy at the mment, but there are 2 Rog problems as Aiwendil identifies:

1- his name. As all here may well recall, I am strongly [ I suppose adamantly is probably the best word [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]] opposed to the name. CJRT basically says in a footnote in the Q30 that Rog 'almost certainly' would not have survivied his fathers next revision of the FoG. Thus he does not make it into the 77/00 text. I heartily concur.

His killing the Balrog makes difficult/impossible the 3/7 note depending on which number you use.

As a theory, if

i reacll aright, we agreed [informally?] to try and adhere to it, without making specific reference to it, and apply as a general idea to remain in the backround when debating the many FoG Balrog issues.

I can see keeping the balrog to be destoyed by the Company of Rog and possibly even by it's capitan [whose name has been lost to time] or some such. but that is from ideology, not looking at the text itself.

Of course, like all I would like to keep as much of the battle intaxct as possible, but the name Rog is to me a greater sticking piont than another balrog death.

Keep in mind that of all the balrogs slaughtered in the HII FoG only 3 make it to Q30. Glorfindels, Ecthelion's and Rog's.

I will need to look at everytyhing else more closely when I am back in CA in a few days...

great work M.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote