View Single Post
Old 02-26-2005, 07:17 PM   #29
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
notes from reading, before reading thread:

More catsup
Notes from reading chapter prior to reading thread:

Much of my underlining and highlighting had to do with the layout of Helm's Deep and comparison to the movie, which I will endeavor to skip.
Seen dimly through the mists of antiquity... I love this sort of thing:
Quote:
Men said that in the far-off days of the glory of Gondor the sea-kings had built here this fastness with the hands of giants.
...and this:
Quote:
In him lived again the valour of Helm the Hammerhand.
Strider in a poetic moment; he is usually so practical, this was nice to see:
Quote:
‘Would that day was here and we might ride down upon them like a storm out of the mountains!’ said Aragorn. ‘It grieves me to fly before them.’
For just a moment, Legolas is seen in a vulnerable light. An elf, appreciating comfort! He is usally so steady and upbeat, this comes as a suprise, and a welcome window into his soul:
Quote:
‘But you are a dwarf, and dwarves are strange folk. I do not like this place, and I shall like it no more by the light of day. But you comfort me, Gimli, and I am glad to have you standing nigh with your stout legs and your hard axe. I wish there were more of your kin among us. But even more would I give for a hundred good archers of Mirkwood. We shall need them. The Rohirrim have good bowmen after their fashion, but there are too few here, too few.’
Interesting to compare how the movie-folk morphed the scene between Eomer, Gimli, and Aragorn at the gates into just a scene between Aragorn and Gimli (which I did enjoy.) But here's the essential pithy quote from Eomer:
Quote:
But oft the unbidden guest proves the best company.
From an archer's perspective this is especially poignant because shooting with someone else's arrows isn't easy!
Quote:
‘Two?’ said Legolas. ‘I have done better, though now I must grope for spent arrows; all mine are gone
The importance of Lore to good morale:
Quote:
...said Aragorn. ‘Is it not said that no foe has ever taken the Hornburg, if men defended it?’
‘So the minstrels say,’ said Éomer.
‘Then let us defend it, and hope!’ said Aragorn.
A moment of real vulnerability followed by delightful humor:
Quote:
Aragorn gained the door, and swiftly it clanged to behind him.
‘Things go ill, my friends,’ he said, wiping the sweat from his brow with his arm.
‘Ill enough,’ said Legolas, ‘but not yet hopeless, while we have you with us. Where is Gimli?’
‘I do not know.’ said Aragorn. ...
...said Legolas. ‘But I wish that he had come this way. I desired to tell Master Gimli that my tale is now thirty-nine.’
‘If he wins back to the caves, he will pass your count again,’ laughed Aragorn.
Once again, an archer's heart goes out to Legolas:
Quote:
‘I must go and seek some arrows,’ said Legolas. ‘Would that this night would end, and I could have better light for shooting.’
Interesting that a grey-elf here prefers daylight. I always imagined that a Mirkwood elf would have no problem seeing in the dark. Maybe he's just stating a preference rather than a need; fair enough, if so.

I found the doubts of Theoden especially poignant. "I fret in this prison." "I serve little purpose here." "My heart is doubtful." "The end will not be long." And yet... "When dawn comes... I will ride forth." There is courage! To look death in the face, and ride out to meet it... foreshadowing Pelennor in all its bloody valor and glory: "Death they cried with one voice..."

Quote:
And with that shout the king came. His horse was white as snow, golden was his shield, and his spear was long. At his right hand was Aragorn, Elendil’s heir, behind him rode the lords of the House of Eorl the Young. Light sprang in the sky. Night departed.
There suddenly upon a ridge appeared a rider, clad in white, shining in the rising sun. Over the low hills the horns were sounding. Behind him, hastening down the long slopes, were a thousand men on foot...
The White Rider was upon them, and the terror of his coming filled the enemy with madness. The wild men fell on their faces before him. The Orcs reeled and screamed and cast aside both sword and spear. Like a black smoke driven by a mounting wind they fled. Wailing they passed under the waiting shadow of the trees; and from that shadow none ever came again.
Comparison/ contrast:

Quote:
rev19.11And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. 12His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. 13And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. 14And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.