View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 12:39 AM   #22
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I like this sequence but the one thing that bothered me was the atmosphere of Bree. I had expected a cheerful setting but it turned out to be to menacing for me. I got used to it but I would have liked to see Bree friendly. Of course PJ wanted to prove the point that the Hobbits had now truly left their safe homeland but I don't really buy into that.
I liked the effects used when Frodo sensed the black rider, it certainly gave the feeling that the black rider was approaching quickly. I also didn't mind the whole shortcut to mushrooms since it gives us a bit of trivia about Hobbits and PJ actually managed to use a chapter title, "A Shortcut to Mushrooms"
The little part between Sam and Frodo about "Gandalf told me; Don't you loose him, Samwise Gamgee" works for me, it gets another line from the book into the movie. It shows that Gandalf already sees that Frodo will need help and that Sam is a good candidate for this job. (For lack of better words)
Of course I also really like the entrance of Strider, it makes him so mysterious.
The big eyeball and the "I see you" line might have been cheesy but it worked for me since these kind of things quickly creep me out.(This is a reason why I never watch horror movies)
I really like the shots of the Nazgul especially the one with the light that shines out from behind the tree branches. That shot gives it such a cold, evil and supernatural feel without resorting to some kind of showy magic.
I like it that they put in the midgewater sequence and part of Luthien's lament which Viggo composed.
I don't mind any of the comic scenes all that much although I did notice the iregularity with the apples but I don't see a point in making a big fuss about that.