View Single Post
Old 07-04-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair_Caruso View Post
snip<--What topics, specifically, do you wish the Professor had been able to make a firm decision on? What would you like to know more about? What people, or cultures, or historical events have you read about that leave you wanting more information?
Definitely want to know more about Numenorean presence in the longer-term mythology. The Caves of the Forgotten had implication, and we saw The Stone of Erech as an example of what Tolkien sometimes did with breaks of Oaths of Fealty.

And beyond that - I would love to have seen The Second Prophesy of Mandos developed where, in one reading, the earth is broken after The Last Battle and the Silmarils gathered, and returned by Feanor to Yavanna, for a Rekindling of the Two Trees. I read just the other day that the Numenoreans of the Caves of the Forgotten get called to lend a hand.

Quote:
I, for one, would like to know more about Númenor, across the board. Culture, language, history, personages of import, everything. That's very broad, but hey, I find the entire concept fascinating and I wish it could have been explored much more thoroughly.
More about their Lore. Their blades were sometimes woven with their variation on spells, in a tantalising glimpse we saw in Merry's blade of the Westernesse and its power, over even the Nazgul.

And DEFINITELY, I'd have totally loved to have known much, much more about Silmarien and her world, bearing and home. The Ring of Barahir she bore through her bloodline.

Quote:
....I want to know the circumstances under which he ancestors of the Princes of Dol Amroth gained their title from Elendil. I want accounts of the foundation of Osgiliath, Minas Anor and Minas Ithil. I want to hear the tale of the construction of Isengard and Orthanc. There is so much more I wish I could know and read.
Gilmith - Starmist - sister of the Founding Father of Dol Amroth. I wanted to know her story, for she had such a beautiful name. Did she bear children, and was there her lineage somewhere in Dol Amroth.

Quote:
I think I'd also like to know a lot more about the Black Númenóreans in Umbar, how their culture functioned in the early years after Númenor's destruction. I'd love to hear tell of their rejection of the claim of the House of Andúnië on the kingship of the colonies. Did they retain Adûnaic as their daily speech, and if so, for how long? Was their a creole that grew up out of a blend of Haradic elements with Adûnaic? How long did the Black Númenoreans retain their dominance in Umbar's culture. What went on in the colonies farther south? Where was Beruthiel from and what prompted Tarannon Falastur to forge a political alliance via marriage?
Yes - those fellas were pretty full on in their rivalry with the northern realms of Arnor and Gondor.
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote