View Single Post
Old 07-08-2004, 05:30 PM   #21
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Rochadan

At the mention of Harstan’s contract with the boy, Rochadan exchanged a serious glance with Bêthberry. Then he gave the boy’s shoulder a gentle squeeze, careful to avoid any of the child’s many bruises and sore spots.

“I can see you are a young man of your word, Andhun,” the stablemaster said, choosing his words carefully. “That is an admirable quality and will serve you well as you get older. But I must tell you that this paper you speak of cannot possibly be binding. People cannot own other people, particularly not on the strength of a document signed by a wounded and desperate child.”

Andhun neither answered nor opened his eyes, but Rochadan could tell by his posture that the child was listening. “I will speak to you frankly now,” he continued. “You must not go back to your master, not if you value your life or the life of your sister. I know this man Harstan. He will work you and beat you until you can no longer help yourself. And then, how will you help your sister?”

He paused as a single tear slid from the corner of one of the boy’s eyes and ran unchecked down his thin cheek. “You will stay here,” continued Rochadan. “And let Mistress Bêthberry see to your wounds. She is a good and kind woman and will take very good care of you. When you are strong enough, we will look for your sister. And I will teach you how to take care of the horses. You do like animals, don’t you?”

“Yes, sir,” said Andhun softly. “But I... my master...”

“I will deal with him.”

Last edited by Ealasaide; 07-08-2004 at 05:55 PM.