View Single Post
Old 07-10-2004, 09:27 PM   #30
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
A look of bafflement crossed Harstan's face at Bethberry's word, and he ran his right hand through his greasy hair while rubbing his sore cheek with his left. He looked from Bethberry to Andhun and back to Bethberry again, and scratched his head. "Now 'ere, ma'am,' he said, "I don't rightly know what you mean."

"What I am offering," said Bethberry coolly, "is to treat this boy here for a time. You cannot deny, I suppose, that his burns tamper his work?"

"They do that, ma'am."

"And that it would be a good thing if he were treated so he might work in a better way?"

"That would be a fine thing, ma'am," said Harstan. "Is this what you 'ere propose?"

"It is," said she.

Harstan's eyes wandered in a shiftless way about the room, but when they glanced upon Andhun they stayed there, and he stood there gazing upon the boy, contemplating. Andhun shrunk away from him and avoided meeting his eyes, and instead looked to Bethberry in an imploring fashion. The wierd, twisted smile had come to Harstan's face again and he said, "Well, ma'am, that which you propose is all right for me so long as it is also right by you. Yet I 'ope you won't mind if I stop in occasionally to see 'ow the boy is doing?" He did not give Bethberry a chance to answer but said, "I thank you for that. I'll bid you good day now. Let the boy cause you no trouble." And then he departed.

It happened suddenly, and Andhun felt relief and wonder surge through him. Relief, for he was glad to see the master go, and wonder for he had not been taken home and beaten. A cry sounded from outside the Tavern and Cynan ran past the window, winking at Andhun as he went by. Andhun smiled faintly, and then he started violently and caught Bethberry's hand. "Oh, Mistress, you are very kind," he said, "but I do not understand what you say. When you have taken care of me will I go back to my master? I do not want to go!" He exclaimed the last sentence passionately, and then took hold of himself and said in a calmer voice, "Yet, Mistress, if there is no other way I will resign myself to it. Only I would beg you," and here his chin began to tremble, "that if I ever find my sister she will not have to live with me at my master's home, but you kind people here will take care of her. Then I will be happy."