View Single Post
Old 07-11-2004, 04:58 PM   #31
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Rochadan

Rochadan stood behind the healer, prepared to intervene if there were trouble and listening closely as she deftly maneuvered Harstan into granting the boy permission to stay - at least on temporary basis - with them at the inn. She did a masterful job of it, far better than he would have done himself had it been left up to him. He knew full well that he would have taken a far more confrontational approach to the situation. Harstan was not fit to take care of farm animals, much less a sick child. Rochadan felt quite certain that he would have told him as much. It was probably not the best approach, he knew, but the pitiable condition of poor Andhun’s body combined with the amazing strength of the boy's character had really touched Rochadan’s heart. It made Harstan, by contrast, stark in his brutality. Rcohadan would do what he could to make sure that Andhun's temporary situation at the inn became a permanent one.

He watched with a smile as the child grasped Bêthberry by the hand. “Oh, Mistress, you are very kind, but I do not understand what you say. When you have taken care of me, will I go back to my master? I do not want to go! Yet, Mistress, if there is no other way I will resign myself to it. Only I would beg you that if I ever find my sister she will not have to live with me at my master’s home, but you kind people here will take care of her. Then I will be happy.”

Rochadan reached out and touched the boy’s hair. “I give you my word,” he said softly, “That if we are able to find your sister, she will have a home with me. I have a daughter of my own. I’m sure she would delight in having a playmate. As for your own situation, resign yourself to nothing. Mistress Bêthberry has done an admirable job of buying us some time to see if we can find an honorable way out of your... your agreement with your master.”

Exchanging glances with both Bêthberry and Finian, he added, “I’m sure we can find a way out of it that will be both acceptable to Harstan and will leave your word intact.”

Rochadan reached out and took hold of the boy’s hand, gently pressing into Andhun’s palm the handful of coins that Andhun had given to him to pay for his meal just prior to the arrival of Harstan. “You keep this,” he told him with a smile. “As an official guest of Mistress Bêthberry, Finian, and myself, you mustn’t feel obliged to pay for your meals during your stay here.