View Single Post
Old 07-13-2004, 04:42 PM   #38
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Once the initial unpleasantness of dealing with Harstan was over, Bethberry relaxed a bit, wanting the boy Andhun to begin to feel at home here at the Vineyard. He had a staunch and playful ally in Cynan, who would lead the lad through some reckless but not undeserved tricks no doubt, and a proud defender in Rochadan. Let them talk some more, she decided, before she would attend to the boy's hurts.

Thus, the Healer sought out Finian,

"You are in agreeement with Rochadan, that the boy should stay here and that we should do our all to ensure he remains out of Harstan's clutches?"

'Indeed, of course. How could I think otherwise?" the young Innkeeper replied indignantly.

"To be sure, we must all be of accord here, for I have misgivings about this cruel Master. I think he will be vengeful if he thinks we have out witted him or cheated him. He will not hesitate to cause us problems."

'Yes."

"Remember that the masters wield power and influence here; it is their efforts which are being praised for the rapid rebuilding of the town and not that of citizens who work here nor of the people who ply their trade."

Finain scowled impatiently at the woman.

"What room can I put Andhun in? The small one across the hall from mine, the one which was first a linen closet before we realised its warmth could make a good bedroom? You will foegoe the cost?"

Finian at that point was really becoming impatient.

'I ask simply because Harstan might be able to twist our motives, pointing out that the boy has cost you money and you will be anxious to recover it from his labour."

Finian raised an eyebrow at this. He had not considered the possibility.

"Rochadan has said he will assume the costs of feeding the boy. It is his wise to take the orphan in."

"Very well. Will you speak to Rochadan of my concerns, just so we are prepared?"

Finian nodded.

"Good then. I shall return and see what help I can give the boy."

With those words, Bethberry returned to the hall in time to watch a large black dog roll over playfully with the lads before returning to his mistress, a tired looking young woman.

"Rochadan, if you and Cynan can bear to part with our young friend for a bit, I should like to attend to his hurts. Can I, Andhun?" she asked.

The boy nodded shyly, with a small look of relief spreading over his features. "I should like to start work as soon as possible though."

Rochadan laughed. "You will, lad you will."

Nodding at the sombre woman with the dog, Bethberry gently took Andhun's hand and brought him to her small clinic beside the kitchen, a room where the warmth of the fires made treatment for the very ill more pleasant. On her way there, she passed by the room of the other healer, Kannah, and knocked, wishing to ask if she would be interested in joining with her in the boy's treatment. Hearing no reply, Bethberry and Andhun continued on their way. Bethberry rather doubted if Kannah would be willing to offer her services in this case, but it would not do to be seen to snub the young woman with the impatient temper.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 07-17-2004 at 07:07 PM.