View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #97
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
Eh. Dangerous or unspeakably horrific stuff doesn't scare me nearly so much - at least with those I can see them, fight them and go down in history as "that idiot who charged at Morgoth with nothing but a stick and an angry look."

No, what really scares me are stealthy things, the ones you don't have any warning of. Especially when you know they're after you, somewhere . . . Most of my worst nightmares involve that feeling of having nowhere to hide. Given that, my list would be thus:

5. Ungoliant/Shelob/the giant spiders of Mirkwood. They fall under the category of "big, obvious menaces" for sure, but this particular geek DOES. NOT. LIKE. SPIDERS.
4. The Dead Men called by Aragorn. I only remembered them after reading about people's fears of the Barrow-Wight (which for some reason fails to scare me at all).
3. Nameless Things. Like the Nazgul, except they take what's scary to me (undefined, unknown, stealthy, relentless things) and become it to the point where it's not quite so scary anymore. They still creep me out veeeery badly though.
2. Thuringwethil. As with the Dead Men, I had forgotten about her until reading some other posts on this thread . . . Then I thought about her and ended up thinking "Oh my God that's scary!"
1. Nazgul. Just enough of everything that scares me, without overdoing it like the Nameless Things.