View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 06:21 PM   #357
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"Yes, my lord?" Garstan responded.

Eodwine looked at him and smiled. There was a gravity about him, Eodwine decided, that maybe had always been there and maybe had not; at any rate, Eodwine could see it now.

"Garstan, when the search for the lady Linduial began, I swore you an oath that I would protect your life with my own. I did not have to hold good to that vow, for your life never quite came into danger-" Eodwine paused "-save once, when you saved my life with your own body. You swore me no oath. I honor you.

"I have called for you to stand before my court because I would have you remain as more than guest at the Eorling Mead Hall. I do not desire to bind you in fealty, but as friend. I ask you to stay here for a year and a day, succored by the protections I may offer you, a friend to this house. Though I have not work to keep a stone shaper busy for that long a time, let this Hall be your home, and find work where you may.

"I do not ask you to choose this moment what you will do, but I wish it to be known to all here the regard I hold for you. So take a day or more to think on it, if you wish, or tell me now if you already know your mind. I leave it to your choice, and will hold neither choice as telling me more than you say."

Eodwine ceased his words, which seemed to him had rendered him rather longwinded, and waited for the stoneshaper to speak.