View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #253
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Rowenna

“Any other surprises I ought to know about before I go and enter myself in the race?” Léof asked wryly.

Rowenna stopped and turned and gave him an appraising look. His expression was not altogether friendly.

"Just that I may win!" She grinned, but could see that her boast was not altogether welcome. She did not want Léof for an enemy; his position in Scarburg was too critical to her future success. "But I wish you well in the race too! You will be racing, won't you?"

"Aye, I will. I have won before," he could not help saying.

"Then I pose little threat to your success," Rowenna replied. "But I will need some practice with Flíthaf so I do not embarrass myself. I will be back soon!"

"I will have Flíthaf ready."

"Thank you!"

With that, she turned and left the stables, eager for the games to begin. There was Saeryn, coming near, looking happier than Rowenna had ever seen her. What had changed?

They talked about the games she would be in, and Rowenna told her which horse she would be riding.

“Flíthaf!” Saeryn laughed in surprise. But the pure joy left her eyes even though she still smiled. “You must be joking!”

"No, I asked him, and he said I could."

"Asked who?" Saeryn said, her smile fading a little bit more.

"Eodwine, of course."

"But will he not be in the race himself?"

"There will be more than one heat. I will ride in the first, and he in the second."

"But what if you both win?"

"We shall see," Rowenna said. She had a plan, but suddenly she felt that she did not want to divulge it to Saeryn, whose questions verged on interrogation. "But enough about me!" Rowenna slipped her arm in Saeryn's and they walked side by side. "What games will you be in, Saeryn?"

Eodwine

One thing had not changed about Degas, he used many words, like a man of the court, to say what could be said more quickly. But that was his way, and Eodwine found it amusing anyway. He could see how Saeryn could have become the winsome young lady she was, having a twin brother like this.

"I will be going to Edoras myself, Degas. I was planning to leave on the morrow. Maybe you and I should leave together, and so we would have the trip to Edoras to speak of all that we are of a mind to. What say you to that, although I would not pull you away from your sister so soon if you would rather wait?"

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 09-02-2008 at 07:20 PM.