View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 07:13 AM   #16
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
If he reported straight to Sauron and not a next in rank...
In this post, WCH pointed out to my gratitude that Sauron appears to have interrogated (and executed) Shagrat in person; Professor Tolkien wrote the following in the currently unpublished time scheme he used to keep track of what was happening in the story (as seen here, relevant quote circled by some internet user):
Quote:
Shagrat brings the Mithril Coat and other spoils to Barad-dūr, but is slain by Sauron.
If he was killed by Sauron, it seems likely to me that he was also questioned by him. Grishnįkh mentioned a "Questioner" (with a capital Q) to Merry and Pippin, although who that was is obviously unclear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Would it have been possible for Shagrat to have kept anything back from Sauron at that juncture?
Personally I imagine that Shragrat was probably quite open with Sauron, perhaps thinking that he was going to make himself look good. If he was loyal/obedient/stupid enough to deliver Frodo's equipment (and therefore evidence of his own incompetence) to his superiors at Barad-dūr, I might be willing to imagine that he was also honest and thorough in his report.

Last edited by Zigūr; 12-06-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Zigūr is offline   Reply With Quote