View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 01:55 PM   #16
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1) Okay, you got me there. That was me overmuch combining. Good to have someone to check my drafts critical!
The reason why I wanted to include Mandos and Nienna is that I did not observe the difference between ‘Curumo was obliged to take Aiwendil to please Yavanna wife of Aulė’ and ‘Alatar took Pallando as a friend.’ In that way I thought, that we would have to provide a similar reason to the one for Radagst as well for Pallando why he would be included. Therefore I assumed that Mandos and Nienna would have demanded (like Yavanna) that one favored by them should be included in the group. But I see now that this is not the case, and that is much more natural for Alatar to choose a friend from following of the same Valar. So I think we have t change the text in this way:
Quote:
FW-SL-05{The note ends with the statement that Curumo [Saruman] took Aiwendil [Radagast] because Yavanna begged him,} FW-SL-06<moved from below Curumo was obliged to take Aiwendil to please Yavanna wife of Aulė> and {that }Alatar took Pallando FW-SL-07b<moved from below also a Maia of {to} Oromė> as a friend. ...
2) I included now much of that essay in the Third Age material, but if you think it belongs rather here, I would be pleased to read and discuss your suggestions.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote