View Single Post
Old 12-12-2003, 02:18 AM   #14
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ring

I forgot about this...

Quote:
Sam would have tried to wrestle the Ring from Frodo.
But...

Quote:
[Gandalf: ]And I cannot make you--except by force, which would break your mind.

(LotR, Book I, Chapter 2)
...and we wouldn't want that to happen. Remember what happened to Denethor. His mind was overthrown by grief, and killed himself. Frodo, had his mind been broken, would have jumped after the Ring.

And now...

Quote:
...whether the Ring would exert some sort of power over him so close to the place of its birth, and who knows how Bombadil's journey to Mordor would have affected his psyche?
Exactly why I put up the question...

Quote:
He COULD throw the Ring in, but he wouldn't.
Exactly...

Bombadil, that enigma of a creature, is almost unaffected by the cares of the world. I mean, Sauron was on his mission to cover the world in a second darkness(and, considering the state of the opposition, one with no hope of undoing) and Bombadil doesn't give a willow's leaf!

Now, had he been in the Fellowship(a big IF) he would have asked, "Why am I here?" "Why am I here?" "Why am I here?" on and on and on...he'll never understand why he's on a journey in the first place! And if the fellowship is broken, let's just put it mildly and say: it'll be a disaster...

->Elenrod

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:27 AM December 12, 2003: Message edited by: Nilpaurion Felagund ]
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote