View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 02:53 AM   #12
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've now watched Version 1, and added my commentary to the end of my notes doc. My overall impression is that the singers were great, but I really wish they'd spent less time on their early-oughts special effects. I would much rather have watched them actually sing than watch, say, Luthien look moodily across a candle. When we could see it, I think the staging had more flavour in this version.

The presence of an extra Son of Feanor amused me no end. Overall, I thought the other version had a better Melian, but this version did much better on Beren. The likes of Finrod, Sauron, and Luthien were pretty much equally good - though different - across the two versions. I think this version of Comedy Thingol takes the edge.

It's good stuff! Thank you again for sharing it.

EDIT: The Version 1 lyrics, with English translations that I think match the subtitles, are available online. The full Russian text of Version 2 - including the chords! - is also up.

EDIT2: And a partial translation of the final version, down to Finrod's lament.

hS

Last edited by Huinesoron; 07-06-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote