View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 08:15 PM   #55
Captain of Despair
Pile O'Bones

Captain of Despair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obloquy
I anticipated this response and retorted preemptively in my post above. I've written a lot on it here on the Downs and provided plenty of evidence to support my contention. Your turn.
Well, I have neither the desire nor the knowledge to try and defend my claim agianst someone so well versed in Tolkien's works. It is more of a personal view that I have developed over time. But I would love to read what you have written if you could provide me with the links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obloquy
But if a male Man had killed the Witch-King (which he could have), Glorfindel would've been proven wrong, and we are all familiar enough with Tolkien to know that Glorfindel would not have been proven wrong. That's the point. "In real life," yeah, a male Man had just as much shot as anyone at killing the WK, but really, once the prophecy had been uttered, it was then "impossible" for any male Man to do the deed.
My point is that you can't really use the prophecy when discussing whether or not so-and-so could theoretically defeat the Witchking.