View Single Post
Old 05-15-2004, 12:34 PM   #16
Lhundulinwen
Wight

Lhundulinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lhundulinwen Send a message via MSN to Lhundulinwen Send a message via Yahoo to Lhundulinwen
Eye

Quote:
Freemasons? What are those?
They are a very old, all male religious club. George Washington was a member. Some people have the club's logo put on their tombstones.
When it comes to characters going to war, or any other test of strength, I think to make it believable, you must not have your character be a super person. (Unless, of course the are a super hero, or just insane.) Any soldier will tell you that in a combat situation, they are scared. They'd be silly or a little crazy if they weren't. To get them through, the rely on instincts and training.
So, main characters who are male, and are put to the test and don't show any type of fear, resolve, etc. just bug me. In the movies, a guy will kiss a photo of his girlfriend or mother even. This shows that he's thinking of them and maybe even praying he'll be back with them.
Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. If your main character is male, and say his family has been kidnaped and are being held hostage. I expect him to charge in there and be madder than anything. Not saying he'll be reckless, just that he won't care as much about himself, just getting his family back, or show as much outward fear.
Most of the stronger female heroines I read about (and write about) can show just as much courage as anybody, depending on them and the situation. If they're stubborn, they'll have more of a grim faced resolve. If you punch the right buttons, say their children, my main characters will pull out an M-16 or bow and arrow (depending on the era) and go after the bad guy until they are taken care of.
I believe if you allow your characters to develop, and become stronger, by the climax, both female and male characters will be to the point where they can be a believable hero.