View Single Post
Old 03-16-2003, 01:32 AM   #73
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wonderful Topic everyone, well thought out and beautiful.

I never seem to match the wonderful posting of everyone else in the book forum, but I will try this time.

*Story Spoilers* (If you have not been spoiled already)
I never really looked at his leaving as a "sacrifice", at first. I just thought of it as something unfortunate that happened. It was very unexpected for me, because like many during the course of reading the book I expected Frodo to finish the quest, and then go home and enjoy the Shire (much like Sam I would have to say). But then during the last few chapters, especially during the part where he is having nightmares and always getting sick. I realized that all may not turn out good. When I got to the end I remember re-reading it over and over, to make sure that he was going to an OK place, because I was very connected to him, he is my favorite charater. I was like "why did he have to go?", but then I realized he had been through so much pain and anguish. Interesting point about him still longing for the Ring, I never realized that he could be talking about that during the dream. I always felt sorry for poor Frodo, even though he went to the havens with some of his dearest friends. There was probably a part of him that wanted to stay, and another part that wanted to go. But he was going through so much pain, that it was something that he had to do, a choice. The only thing that he was really sacrificing was his life in Middle Earth that he had helped save, but he really had to go in the end.
(Well I don't know if this post makes sense, but I hope you can all figure it out in some way [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] )