Thread: Gollum VS. Hulk
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2003, 09:02 PM   #28
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well I saw Hulk the other night with my son and I don't think Gollum fans have anything to worry about. Although in the close-ups, especially during Hulk's calmer moments, the animation was about up to par with Gollum, especially the eyes, his gross body movements were often cartoonish. I read that, unlike Gollum, Hulk motions were not based upon an actual actor that was there during filming. During filming they did the equivalent of a tennis ball on a stick just to give the real actors a point of eye contact.<P>Yes, Hulk interacts more with his environment, but that's the nature of the character. All Hulk does is significantly interact with his environment. Gollum does too, it's just far more subtle.<P>I think what's more important though is that Hulk is actually a very solid movie. Ang Lee really pushed the boundries of comic book movies (which have become a genre onto themselves). I know many folks that are used to the more traditional summer blockbuster will complain that there should have been more thrashing and trashing, but I for one am very appreciative of the risk Mr. Lee and Universal took in trying to shoot for the head as well as the heart. It would have been so easy for them to just give us the smashing wrapped around a cliched love story, but they knew they could deliver more.<P>H.C.